Saturday 18 June 2011

A new day

Perhaps it's time to return to the first of my reasons for writing a blog - updating people on what is happening.

Well, not a great deal, at the moment. I, we, are in this phase of knowing that an event (operation) is coming (15th July) but still living the 'old life' with many of its normal routines and patterns. I know that some people think that I have a tendency to favour a melodramatic turn of phrase (!) but I do think of this time as being similar to one of those sci-fi airlocks that space travellers enter when moving from one atmosphere into another. I will soon live in a new body - one that has been opened up and relieved of some of its content, shortly then to be subjected to a noxious cocktail of chemicals that will wreak yet further change.

My GP advised me to shave my beard off; that way it will be less of a shock for others when my hair falls out.

There are of course other appointments before the op. I have appointments with the Eye Hospital (Selly Oak) (following Rustom's discovery that there is a small haemorrhage in my right eye - perhaps related to hypertension), the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital (still working on the backpain/sciatica problem) and of course a pre-admission assessment at the QE.

And so the days fill. If we are to get away for a few days there are, even now, very few 'windows'.

Yesterday was good. I abandoned members of my family to visit school to help with the relocation of 'stuff' used at last week's incredible Reunion attended by 6 - 700 people (another Moseleians Association success).

Within minutes of arriving I found myself hugging and talking to a succession of women! I finally made it to the rendezvous point - only to discover the 'stuff' had been moved to the vehicles and would need to be unloaded at the other block.

Then more tactile women appeared and I was further delayed. By the time I got back to the old building they had emptied the cars. They left me, with my bicycle, to watch a staff cricket match (I declined a shouted invitation to 'get your pads on, you're needed') because another woman was approaching, arms extended.

Sometimes I see silvery linings within this airlock....................

4 comments:

  1. this is a test to get aquainted with this tool
    Gerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. it works!, so I continue to write


    Rod, I received your mail: Don't worry, I enjoy my stay in Maroque, ALTHOUGH I keep thinking about you.

    First a comment about using a blog in your situation: I think it's a good idea, to leave the individual level of dealing with your cancer. From my perspective cancer needs (apart from your individual personal process) the possibility to share feelings, new facts, insights, worries and for your friends to react and share their ideas, feelings etc, that's exactly what we call a caring network, which will help for you to feel carried like on an ocean's wave. whatever will happen to you, I'm sure you will feel lighter by using ths instrument.

    second: Rod, are you aquainted with the book "getting well again" by Simonton?
    It explores the link between the physical, psychological and spiritual levels of cancer and gives good (also treatment) ideas about how to deal with the complex situation of a cancer illness. Highly recommended.

    so, this is my first entry to your blog, more to come
    Gerd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lieber Rod,
    Thanks for your Macmillan Christmas Card and your personal mail before Christmas.
    Since none of our kids were at home (Jakob in Columbia and Luci in Thailand) we spent Christmas together with Margots brother and his family. After Christmas wie went skiing in Austria and stayed in the cottage of our company (I will send you a photo in a parallel email. We stayed over New Year and had a peaceful and quiet time.
    Several times I checked The blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. as to know how you are. Since there were no news by you I am torn between the idea that you are too well as to bother about the blog and The fear that you might not be well.
    So let me put it this way: it's about time for an update of your condition!

    For this coming Year I wish you all the best for your struggle/battle/fight/war (what is the right expression?) for life. I feel that this year might be decisive for you and I will support you with all my mental energy, thoughts, mental power and feelings. Keep trucking

    ReplyDelete