Thursday 30 June 2011

Alien, the image.

Things have been quite eventful over the last two days. I'll work backwards. This afternoon (Thursday) we had an appointment with the consultant surgeon at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in Birmingham. I was keen to hear what he had to say about the second MRI the ROH had requested; the one that identified the 'renal mass' and led to the subsequent dramatic changes in my world. I was particularly interested to know whether he thought the nephrectomy (removal of the affected kidney) would help me with the continuing discomfort experienced in the back and leg.

He said he thought it would and showed us some of the MRI images on his computer.

I now think I understand the core psychology - the zeitgeist - that lies at the heart of the Alien movies. (If only John Hurt's character had been given an early MRI things may have turned out differently.) The consultant showed us a large interior mass which almost obliterated my left kidney - the chances were that it was no longer functioning and had not been doing so for a long time. A distinct bright circular area towards the base of the mass was also evident. This he said was a fluid-filled cyst and would also be removed.

Seeing these awful and striking images was somehow, strangely, reassuring. Removing this invading 'organism' now made urgent sense and brought with it the prospect of some easing of the discomfiture in my leg which has been worsening.

He also pointed out (and showed us further images to illustrate) that easing the neurological symptoms in my leg was unlikely to affect a chronic degeneration in my spine, involving scoliosis and the erosion of several discs in the lumbar region. He estimated that I was probably a good 2 - 3 inches shorter than would have been the case if my back was in a state of good repair. The arthritic condition in my lower back meant that I was 'fully entitled' to experienced some pain!

I have to go to bed - I'll write about the 24 hours that preceded these events tomorrow! This involves an encounter that was more 'ally' than 'alien'.

No comments:

Post a Comment