Sunday 5 February 2012

My magnetic personality

Last Thursday, seated in the 'ante-room' to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital MRI scanner, the radiographer was going through the usual checklist of questions designed to ensure that a part of me didn't become overly-attracted to the super-powerful magnet I was about to enter. I established with her that the shrapnel the military medics had been unable to remove in my left leg would be well outside the neck and chest (cervicothoracic) region under investigation. She made a monotone response to indicate she had heard this one many times before but this only served to strengthen my resolve to come up with an original line and make her, or a colleague, chuckle in appreciation.

Next, I thought it best to establish that this new ROH scanner (one of many that I've visited in the West Midlands!) was as I remembered, 'doughnut-shaped' -and reassuringly open on both sides. Her brow furrowed and she told me that though it was more capacious than the one in which I'd had my claustrophobic experience (see Thursday 16th June 2011 post) it was still of the 'tunnel' variety and that I would need to be taken fully into the scanner. This instantaneously squashed all ambition to amuse her. I could already sense a warm fluid rising through my trunk and limbs and the automatic intake of deeper breaths.

We agreed that I'd have a go.

Inside the tunnel I was focused on only one thing, the small mirror locked into place above my head and set at a  forty-five degree angle so that I could see into the airy, life-enhancing and spacious room I had so recently entered. I had been assured that the procedure would take only fifteen-twenty minutes. I wasn't told, however, that, once inside the tunnel, you enter a 4th dimensional time-warp. This was the longest twenty minutes of my short life. Only the blurred sense of people in hospital uniforms pursuing their normal lives beyond the viewing window and my enhanced yogic breathing kept me from the hazardous cliff edge of panic. The headphones gurgled some baroque music, intermittently obliterated by the thunderous roar of the scanner that gave every impression of trying and failing, to reach a speed that would enable it to take off.

But, I hear you ask; 'How did you get to be in yet another scanner? Surely every part of your body is already, intimately known to modern science?'

Well, let me take you back to the last post - the one you, unkindly, thought would never end . If you recall I had mentioned then that my next appointment, in late January,  was to be with the consultant at the ROH. I expressed the opinion then that I was so fed up with the neurological and mechanical discomfort in my back and leg that I was prepared to request a surgical procedure on my poor scoliotic spinal column.

The surgeon had other ideas.

I imagine that medics are taught that there are at least three sources of information that might help them diagnose a patient's condition; physical examination, technology-based testing (such as blood and urine samples, all manner of scans and 'oscopys') and finally, 'verbal feedback'. However, asking me questions about my back pain is something in which my consultant isn't particularly interested. He is a 'scan man'. He has looked at them before I enter his office and so knows what outcome he wants - and assisted by a personable, authoritative style he usually gets it.

Having established that the epidural (see 23rd November 2011) had been unsuccessful he proceeded to dissuade me from asking for major surgery by showing me the MRI scan of another patient whose spine was liberally studded with ghostly pins. The man's back had been unable to take the strain of linking these pinned vertebrae to the first 'good' vertebra in the lumbar region causing one of them to fracture. The man was now bent double when he walked.

'And your point is?' I wanted to ask.

Not that I was looking for major surgery but I did have a small speech prepared much of which had already been rendered pointless by his conclusion that there was nothing more he could do for me. He did offer to refer me to the pain clinic at the QEH and I hope for an early appointment but he otherwise intended to discharge me from his list.

Then I remembered part of the 'speech'. I wanted him to know that I had also experienced a change in the way I used my left arm (and not only my leg). I relayed some of the symptoms which threw him into some consternation as he had already intoned summary and final letters into his dictaphone.

'Have we scanned your upper back?'

We established that 'we' hadn't. So that's how I came to be in the MRI room, renewing my relationship with the guardians of the scanner. There is obviously a powerful attraction there.

4 comments:

  1. They guard the secret of morphine.
    Mind you, nobody would ever go to work again if it were to be made available to the 'likes of you and me'.
    We suffer in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some mistakes in this post, so I removed it and corrected it below.

      Delete
  3. Friday the 10th of February 2012.

    Hi Rod.

    I’ve been catching up with your blog: guilty - I haven’t read it for some time - whilst listening to Kate Bush’s album 50 Words for Snow on my Apple laptop. The music set a nice mood to read form where I left off to February the 5th.

    Last autumn I had a similar experience to yours in an MRI scanner: what a racket?. The nurse had told me rather sternly to “keep still” while I was lying in the thing. However at one point in the scan, the machine changed its tone from that of a demented pneumatic drill to something akin to a thousand bees trapped in a giant bell jar, frantic to escape. Naturally, or so I thought, I was jerked awake by the bees and was reminded about keeping still: “It will spoil the images!”. It’s very difficult to keep still when the thing thumps, clangs and hammers away with gay abandon. Why don’t they make them quiet?

    The outcome of last autumn’s health scare was that I was given, by my urologist, a 50 % chance of cancer found in my prostate gland: not good odds, I thought. It turned out that my (second prostrate) biopsy was clear, news that was conveyed to me by telephone one evening in November by my oncologist: what a lovely man he is, kind and considerate and warm-hearted. Three cheers for the NHS.

    (Message to the Coalition: get your itchy hands off the NHS. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE and, while you are at it, why don’t you all just go away. Sorry about that, just needed to get that off my chest.)

    Compared to Rod, my journey into the dark was cancelled at the door that I could see was held half-way open for me as I stepped slowly and uncertainly towards the large letter “C” that was carved deeply into its surface. Someone or something let Rod through the door into the stretched darkness beyond, while I was selected to stay outside with the door closed in my face. Thankfully I could turn away and get back to normality, while all of Rod’s family and friends waited for him to come out the other side into the light.

    Last night, at the Bay Leaf restaurant, I saw Rod for the first time since the start of his journey that many of us have followed on his blog: Rod looked great. Rod’s first words to me were: “How is the [novel] writing going?” This shows the generosity of spirit of the man: his first thoughts were to ask someone else how they were. Given what Rod has been through, I was enormously impressed that he was gracious to ask about me before I got a chance to ask about him: what a gent?

    Rod: welcome back to the realm of light.

    ReplyDelete