Friday 24 February 2012

A simple desultory philippic

Yesterday I saw my oncologist. He wanted to know about the cystoscopy, once I'd reminded him that it had happened. He was happy to learn that the result was positive but as he'd yet to receive any report - he'd only got my word for it.

He commented on the fact that my hair (beard, eyebrows, nasal, ponytail) was turning white. 'That's the effect of the drugs.' Diana wanted to know how he explained her condition....

But, I jest. To be honest I came away more than a little chastened. He spoke of the fact that even if the nodules were shrunk to a point where they were no longer detectable, I would still continue with the 'chemo'. He said that they would re-appear and would in any case ultimately prove resistant to the toxicity of the drugs. 'At that point we will have to try something else' - but he didn't sound very optimistic.

My head knows this condition isn't curable but my head isn't always fully engaged.

We returned home and updated the 'hired help', my brother John. Invited to spend a few days with us, he has been working through a list of DIY jobs including what will be, to my knowledge, the only listed wood store in the UK. (He's very thorough).

As a 'thank you' I took him out for a meal last night. We went to a new Asian restaurant, Mughal e Azam on the Stratford Road in Sparkhill. The building is a W. H. Bidlake congregational church dating from the 1930s. It is listed grade II. I can recommend it both for the food and the experience.

It is an example of a fine building that has found a new purpose. Decorations suspended from walls and ceilings put me in mind of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. The aim in both buildings is to demonstrate that the premises are under new management but that there is still pride in the drama and beauty of the original design.

This line of argument may not find favour with the small congregation that chose to sell up and move on.

But then, 'all change is difficult'.

1 comment:

  1. We just keep on keeping on
    That there's still a lot of love among us
    And there's still a lot of faith and warmth and trust
    When we keep on keeping on

    Curtis Mayfield

    Keep on keeping on Rod.

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete