Friday 1 March 2013

'Keep right on to the end of the node........'

I promised that I'd let you know about the scan and blood results that were due at my oncology appointment today (Thursday 28th February).....

The news is good. Well, better than 'good' - it's just about fan-flipping-tastic.

To recap; around 4 months ago, I had asked for and been 'granted', a reduction in my 'chemo' medication (it goes under the brand name Sunitinib - 'soo-nit-i-nib') because of  the increasingly-intolerable side effects. The worst of these was 'sore feet syndrome' which made it nigh on impossible to walk more than a few metres in the latter stages of the period in which I was taking the drugs (weeks 3 and 4 of the 6 week cycle).

The 25% reduction in the dosage had the desired effect; my feet have been less sore and I have been less fatigued. However, one big question remained; how might the reduction in the dosage have impacted on the effectiveness of the drugs? A recent CT scan would help to answer this and it was these results we expected today.

So, we learned that the lymph node in my chest ('near the heart') had shrunk and the 'small' nodules in my lungs were 'stable'. My bloods showed a slight increase in haemoglobin (which is also good), my white blood cell count was ok as were my liver, kidney and thyroid function.

It doesn't get much better than this. We even spent some time with the registrar discussing possible options for further reductions but this is a complex issue with a balance of risks and technical stuff to absorb. What is  apparent is that our two parties look at things differently; the medics favour my taking the strongest dose I can tolerate while we favour taking the minimum that is effective in keeping the nodules under control. The big problem is of course cell mutation. Eventually the disease will seek and find a way around the drugs - then there may be other drugs available but they too come with significant side effects.

Never mind, all that's for another day. We have learned to live for today and today was good - even the sun agreed. We had a celebratory lunch of baked potato and beans at Winterbourne and then drove out to Worcestershire for a garden centre experience.

While writing of memorable days; don't forget that Sunday week (March 10th) is Mother's Day (note the apostrophe - apparently we celebrate a singular mother, our own, not all mothers).

Twenty-one years ago, Joe was just three weeks old when this event took place. I intuited his wishes and delivered a card on his behalf. It read;

                                               Mum’s the Word

                                            (Mother’s Day, 1992)

                                      Through my eyes, I see your face
                                      now coming into view
                                      through my mouth, a storm subsides
                                      the comfort drawn from you
                                      through my skin, I feel your skin
                                      a warmth I sense anew
                                      and sounds and scents are strangely known
                                      as though we are one, not two.

                                      So, though I cannot say the words
                                      I want you to know it’s true
                                      and for a voice, ‘til I can speak
                                      my dad’s will have to do.

                                      He writes these words; the first is ‘mum’,
                                                 then ‘I’ 
                                                             then ‘love’,
                                                                            then ‘you’.

I'm just hoping that I won't need to intuit in 2013 (for any of my progeny).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rod, really tremendous news, well done you and Di! That navigation round the playing off of quality of life against clinical best practice, its a hard one for everyone. Its so good to see that you're prioritizing the quality of life and seeing this clinical payoff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! I've been slipping on my Gethin support diet but you're inspiring me to make a better effort!

    ReplyDelete