Thursday 12 January 2012

Honey, I shrank (sic) the nodules.

We have just returned from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and our consultation with the oncologist following the recent CT scan. The news is good. The scan gives evidence that the nodules - not sure of the precise number but about 5 or 6 - have shrunk. I have asked for a copy of the radiologist's report but it would appear that shrinkage is of the order of 30 - 60%. This puts me in the 40% bracket of those who have shrinkage, rather than the 40% who have no growth and the 20% for whom nodule growth continues.

So, I'm in the right group and will go forward to the next drug cycle that starts tomorrow. I'm pleased even though it probably will mean repeating the experience of plantar fasciitis - inflammation of the soles of the feet which makes walking (and standing) very painful after a short period. The approach however is to treat the side effect rather than reduce the dosage while there are evident clinical benefits to taking the drugs. If I can tolerate something like 6 cycles then I think they look to reduce the dosage.

The treatment for plantar fasciitis includes the use of Udderlysmooth - a cream developed for the inflamed udders and teats of dairy herds. Apparently, one of the constituents is urea - though I'm not sure who or what animal makes that particular contribution. I've just ordered some so I'll let you know as and when it is revealed.

If my mood is less than euphoric it is partly because the 'good news' was delivered in a 'tone' that was flat and inconsistent with the content, partly because of apprehension about the drug side effects but mostly because the consultant revisited the bald, stark and scary statistics about my condition.

For some reason he thought that we were a partnership that had opted not-to-know about the prognoses. When we assured him that this was not the case he furnished us with some dispiriting 'median survival periods' for those on Sunitinib.

But hey, I'm not the median man! I'm the guy with shrunken nodules and that's something joyous I could never have predicted saying, just one short year ago!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi just great

    Lets celebrate

    Champaign!!!!!

    Gerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous news shrinkage guy!
    I'm really pleased to hear that, keep up the good work!

    re plantar fasciitis: I self-diagnosed that from about.com
    http://walking.about.com/cs/heelpain/a/plantarfas.htm
    after getting sole pain in both feet. The site has some foot stretching exercises which cleared up one foot in a couple of weeks and are more slowly improving the other. For you to consider ...
    Cheers
    Mike

    ReplyDelete