Wednesday 23 November 2011

Another surgical procedure...............

Now, if you were paying attention earlier (and I could hardly blame you for losing the will to live, let alone for failing to pay attention) you'll know that I have two major conditions; advanced kidney cancer and sciatica/back pain. It was the search for the cause of the latter that led to the discovery of the former. Having been found, treatment for the cancer understandably assumed priority and the back pain went onto the 'back burner' ('back burner' - geddit?) So, with the cancer treatment now established as relatively routine it was time for the back to come to the fore ( Ta ra! - 'Oh well - please yourself.')

In terms of my day-to-day quality of life it is the back/leg condition that has the greater impact so I was pleased (as well as apprehensive) at the prospect of being re-admitted to hospital.

So, yesterday then I was back at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital for an epidural procedure. As a good number of you will know this entails injections (of, in my case, steroids) into the base of the spine. After kitting me out with some very see-through, paper underpants and the usual operating gown that served to provide public display of the aforementioned underpants (together with their contents), they gave me a light general anaesthetic. For this reason I'm unable to tell you a great deal about that which occurred after I lay face down on a bed/table configured in such a manner as to give even greater prominence to my posterior. An oxygen mask was strapped to my head and I was asked to tell the anaesthetist when I felt myself going lightheaded.

I was still waiting to give him the signal when I woke up in the recovery ward. I spent an interesting hour there watching beds with their prone patients come and go. Eventually I heard a young nurse calling for 'Frederick' and guessed that this might have been me. We got to know each other well in the next three hours of bedrest that I was required to take under her, and Diana's, supervision. She is Filipino and hates GPs, dentists and hospitals unless attending as a professional. After a pleasant meal of chicken soup, chicken pasta and ice-cream (following the 'complications' arising from my last stay in hospital, I've given up asking for the meat-free, dairy-free diet. Do you know, I even suspect that the chicken wasn't organic?!) I settled in to a prolonged spate of txtng while Diana went to find a restaurant.

My three hours on the ward passed very quickly. The Filipino nurse's concern for my welfare, as well as a desired glimpse of my surgical underpants, led her to insist that I sit on the bed for several minutes before standing and 'making a twirl'. After some demurring on my part she insisted too that I had the porter take me out to the car park in a wheelchair (this is after I had dressed). It was a good decision as the pain in my back was returning.........

And it is now the day after and so far things are as they were. The anaestheic has worn off, the neurological pain in my left leg is still there, as is the mechanical pain in my lower back. They did say it could take several days........... I live in hope.

As for the ulcer, about which I blogged in the last post, I'm pleased and a little embarrassed to admit that it has disappeared almost as quickly as it arrived. Eight more days, chemo-free and I'm back onto the third cycle.

I know, you can hardly wait for me to blog about it.

5 comments:

  1. As a number of people are having problems posting a comment I'm doing a dry run and will let you know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to post a comment - I think! - is as follows;
    Sign in, open an account (probably google so it will be your name @gmail.com), sign in again on Rod's update and register for a blog; when given the choice between starting a blog and following one, choose follow and put in the URL for Rod's blog (rodupdate.blogspot.com), then click on the post you wish to comment on and make a comment in the box at the bottom! I have to say that I've either managed to find the most tortuous way of making a comment that there is - or that's how it is.......definitely not straightforward but once its done it should be easy thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rod,

    I want to comment on two topics.
    The first is my own physical condition: I'm having trouble with my lower back since about one year: it comes and goes - I had some massage treatment, which was good, some times I took some pin pills. Some days ago - out of the blue - I realized there might be something more severe behind it and went to a MRT examination.While Ai was laying in this tube I was thinking about you and your and almost praying or a good result - although I had the "feeling", that it would not be a serious problem ........ And luckily it turned out, that it is the problem of an old age back, causing a slight sort of infection o the vertebra bones rtc

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pace for comments seemes to be limited - anyway I continue

    ... which can't be cured, only relieved by massages and physiotherapy, which I started today. But the doc, who examined my pictures, told me, that h sees serious cancer illnesses every day - in people, who come with the same symptoms as I did. - so I realized once more how narrow the bridge is between a "normal life" and a sudden plung into deep problems.

    Second I want to comment on your way of writing in the blog: I do adore you: you are deeply involved in your illness and in

    ReplyDelete
  5. The same moment you show a distant and meta-level way of reflection and describing, which is sharp, to the point and somehow self-ironical. I don't have the English expressions - I try to express that I enjoy your writing a lot and I feel that it is a very good and healthy way to "treat" yourself in ways of "dealing" with yourself.

    Gerd

    ReplyDelete