Thursday 26 September 2013

Hip Op; music to my ears.

'If all parts of the system work smoothly, the [scan] results will be securely and digitally despatched to the ROH in time for the MDT meeting. Our hope is, that my case will be discussed and a date for surgery agreed and in the near future.'

The above is an extract from my previous post which told of my referral to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital (ROH), nine days ago The decision then had been that the surgeon needed more scan information before the date for any hip operation could be set.

I am very pleased to report that the system DID work smoothly.

I went for that evening MRI scan at the Priory Hospital (Monday 23rd September) and their strategy of allowing me to enter the 'tunnel' feet-first left my rolled-back eyes with just enough of a view of the outside world to quieten my incipient claustrophobia. It was a close run thing but fifty minutes later I was safely disinterred. Nursing an emaciated credit card we left for home.

The transfer of the MRI images to the ROH evidently happened because the very next day (Tuesday lunchtime, 24th) I was phoned by another consultant who told me that my case had been discussed at the multidisciplinary team (MDT) meeting that morning. The very good news was that, in his view, a normal hip replacement would be possible as the femur below the head was cancer-free. He said that, given the urgency, I could expect to be operated on within a fortnight.

The following day (yesterday) the surgeon's secretary phoned to say that a date had been scheduled, next Monday (30th).

Buoyed by the news, we drove to Gethin and Judith's home in Ticknall, Derbyshire. They had researched a day trip that would take in a walk/wheelchair ride of the impressive Staunton Harold estate (recommended) and then a detour through the picturesque town of Melbourne. On crutches, I was able to gawp at the wonders of the the largely-Norman parish church which has ambitions to be a cathedral. It is an amazing place for those who love massive, Romanesque columns and zigzag patterned arches. As I now know, it is given top rating by Betjeman's Best British Churches.

We strolled/hobbled past the lake below the adjacent Melbourne Hall before returning to Brum and thereafter, bed - I haven't been out of it since as I ratchet up the practice regime for my 'confinement' next week.

I didn't think that I'd ever say that I was looking forward to a hip replacement operation but then again there are a lot of other equally outlandish statements that have escaped my lips over the last two and a half years.

Joe is making a flying visit from his current sojourn in the University of Ljubljana in Slovenia, so it's possible that he can be persuaded to pick up a keyboard and post the next post-op. bulletin?

3 comments:

  1. I can tell you from first hand experience that after the initial post op pain a hip replacement is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news and a good course of action to embark upon. Best of luck for Monday.

    ReplyDelete