Tuesday 21 May 2013

My great climacteric


Tomorrow, 22nd May 2013,is a significant day for me; it is the occasion on which I enter my great climacteric. A climacteric is defined as 'a period in which some great change is due to take place in the constitution', though whether this be for good or ill is unclear. These periods are said to occur when we reach an age that is a multiple of seven and an odd number; 7x1, 7x3, 7x5, 7x7, 7x9 and some say, in these days of longevity, 7x11 and 7x13. The great climacteric however, is 7x9 = 63

I'm not sure how many further 'great changes' my body can take.

Mid-May also marks the second anniversary of my cancer diagnosis. I was told by the surgeon that the mean survival time for those in my position, with renal cell carcinoma that has metastasised to the lungs, was just in excess of two years.

Now, were I to conform to the mean - that would result in a significant change in my constitution.

However, I do know that the medics and the NHS haven't yet, given up on me.

The MRI scan and the cystoscopy (11/5/2013) have come - but not exactly, gone. The MRI turned out to be a doddle. Concerned as I was by the prospect of being 'entombed' in the tunnel, I took what precautions I could. I discovered that there are two scanners in the QEH Imaging department and one is more spacious than the other. I opted for the former and then requested backup sedation from my G.P. After a telephone consultation in which I asked for advice on the maximum, sub-lethal dosage, she prescribed diazepam. I duly took my tablet at the recommended time and - experienced no change.

For extra insurance, I opted to take my sister into the scanner room. She was to be directed to stand at the head of the scanner and repeatedly assure me of the proximity of my head to life-sustaining, open space.

Ok, so I took some trouble over this.................... but when I was admitted to the scanner room, my concerns evaporated. This bright, spherical , techno-miracle was so different to the elongated toilet roll of earlier experience. It still made a racket when in operation but at least I was unable to hear most of it - I fell asleep.

Now, I await the results as to the origins of my acute back pain. Though fine today, having just returned from a walk through a seasonal, shallow blue ocean in Austey woods near Wootton Wawen with Mary, Pete and Keith, I have been immobilised and bed-ridden on other days.

I see the physiotherapist on Friday and the oncologist, Thursday week. I'm hoping that between them and the radiologist's report, they can come up with a narrative to account for what exactly is going on with my spine - and better still, some advice on how to improve it.

As for the cystoscopy, the 'preamble' went well but the insertion of the 'box brownie' scope came to an abrupt halt when the doctors advised me that they could not continue. I had just settled back, both hands behind my head, in order to watch all the action on the overhead monitor, when they quickly decided they would have to terminate the procedure.


Apparently, I have a stricture, a narrowing, of the urethra and this would mean arranging a further appointment and another procedure. My urethra would be dilated in order to progress and examine the bladder. This will be carried out under general anaesthetic.


To be honest, I wasn't too upset to be told I was coming back for a G.A. (as we say in the business) - but you had probably already guessed as much. Please, don't be misled, I'm actually pretty tough. I once had a rose thorn removed from my finger without any pain relief, save that from my mother 'kissing it better'.

This was quickly ruled out as an option by the medical team last week.








No comments:

Post a Comment