Monday 5 September 2011

Those blue-remembered hills

Is there anybody still out there? I could hardly blame you for losing interest and taking up daytime television watching instead............ but do let me know if you are still reading.

So what's been happening?

Well, it's more a case of what is about to happen. On Thursday (8th September) I have another appointment with the oncologist to discuss the next steps in the treatment programme. For some reason they want to distinguish between the drug therapy that I'm due to receive and the term, chemotherapy. Mine is called targeted therapy, the generic drug treatment is Sutent and the specific drug I'm due to receive, Sunitinib. (There's an article waiting to be written on the origin of drug names).

Well that's what I was told a few weeks ago. They may change their minds because last week I went for another CT scan so they could have an up to date picture on how the disease is 'progressing'. This new info could be critical. So this is scary stuff. Wish me luck. Some have said they are praying, some are crossing their phalanges - I'm more than happy to accept all and any offers.

Meanwhile my physical recovery from the operation continues. Claire has gone home now, with Amichai and the kids, to witness the ravages of hurricane Irene. Fortunately no damage had been caused to their house in Morristown, New Jersey, but the power was out for a few days.So, though I may no longer have my personal trainer to assist me I still have her exercise and stretches programmes to follow.

In order to feel better about being less than perfect with the exercise and stretches regime, I also go walking. It seems to be the one thing that I can do to build my fitness that doesn't cause problems with the left leg. Last week I walked the first eight miles of the Worcestershire Way with my old friend Marian. The start/finish of the 33 miles route between Bewdley and Great Malvern runs past her front door.

That walk in last Friday's stunning weather was memorable. This part of Worcestershire is very hilly and scarcely-populated. We couldn't see our ultimate destination, the whale-backed Malverns, because the Abberley Hills dominated the greeny-blue horizon. I can recommend the experience to anyone.

By the time we reached Shavers End Quarry, disused but taking a large visible bite out of the forested hills, I was pretty tired. This was my most sustained period of exercise since the op. Marian and I are due to recommence the walk this Wednesday (7th September), weather permitting. If anyone else within hailing distance wants to join us they would be more than welcome - just get in touch and I'll relay the details.

I intend to post details of the meeting with the oncologist as soon as I can. And if you can't be a Deist, try to be a Phalangist.


1 comment:

  1. Lieber Rod,

    I'm still here and I even added my photo to the site.
    I enjoy very much how you deal with your actual life situation and your spirit of putting it into words.
    I feel that your spirits are high, and that for sure is a good remedy, may be the best after all.
    Keep looking after your spirits, I personally will continue to include you in my (more or less) daily prayers.
    your friend from Germany
    Gerd

    ReplyDelete