Tuesday 12 July 2011

An unexpected gift.

While we were away in Wales, Parcelforce and the Post Office tried to deliver two objects too large for the letterbox. We got around to collecting them today. The first, at the Kings Heath postal depot, contained a couple of books Di had ordered from Amazon; Jane Plant's recent publication, 'Eating for Better Health' and another by Colin Campbell, a nutritionist she admires, entitled 'The China Study'.

Diana had thought the books might have been posted separately but, since they were packaged together, what, we wondered, was in the other? We had to drive to another Post Office in Moseley Village. As we travelled I read an endorsement from the Sunday People for the Plant publication; 'This book could - quite literally - save your life'. This sounded promising.

I stayed in the car while Diana gathered her proof of identity and the card that had been pushed through the door and made her way across the busy Alcester Road. I had time to glimpse at 'The China Study', subtitled 'Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health' and described on the cover as 'The most comprehensive study of nutrition ever conducted'. To be honest, although I am interested in this stuff a part of me is glad that Diana is the one who is undertaking the research.

The next time I saw her she was staggering towards me carrying a large box. It was addressed to 'Rod Ling and family' and two sides were covered with an array of stamps that would have made quickened the heart of any philatelist. The stamps were arrayed in slabs like exotic wrapping They were obviously foreign. They were Israeli and so enticing they must have been approved by the State Tourist Board. The box had come from my son-in-law's family, the Lichtensteins, in Tel Aviv.

Struggling to control the excited child in me I peeled away the tape to reveal an amazing collection of nuts, dates, prunes, halva, dietary supplements.. At least I think they are dietary - Amichai will have to translate some of the labels.

As for the nuts and dried fruit no translation was necessary. Perhaps these juicy, treacly dates are medjool. I didn't stop to ask Di whether Jane Plant and Colin Campbell would approve.

Many blogged thanks to the generous Lichtensteins.

No comments:

Post a Comment